Form Submission | Important Information
- HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- HIPAA was passed by the U.S. government in 1996 in order to establish privacy and security protections for health information
- Information stored on our computers is encrypted
- Most popular email services (ex. Hotmail®, Gmail®, Yahoo®) do not utilize encrypted email
- When we send you an email, or you send us an email, the information that is sent is not encrypted. This means a third party may be able to access the information and read it since it is transmitted over the Internet. In addition, once the email is received by you, someone may be able to access your email account and read it.
- Email is a very popular and convenient way to communicate for a lot of people, so in their latest modification to the HIPAA act, the federal government provided guidance on email and HIPAA
- The information is available in a pdf (page 5634) on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website ‐http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR‐2013‐01‐25/pdf/2013‐pdf
- The guidelines state that if a patient has been made aware of the risks of unencrypted email, and that same patient provides consent to receive health information via email, then a health entity may send that patient personal medical information via unencrypted email
We do not accept PHI through the general contact form on our website. In the event that you disregard the instructions and submit the form acknowledging that you understand the risks of unencrypted email and do hereby give permission to Total Orthopedics Sports & Spine to send me personal health information via unencrypted email.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALLOW UNENCRYPTED EMAIL
- Do not submit your information over our general contact form. Checking the “True: I understand that this form is for general contact only and the risks of sending personal health information through unencrypted email. I hereby give permission to Total Orthopedics Sports & Spine to email personal health information. *” box prior to submitting your email means you acknowledge the risk of submitting personal health information via email.
- Give the office a call. We are standing by to answer any questions that you may have.